2013 Outlook, part 8By Randell Tiongson on January 22nd, 2013
It is a pleasure to present the outlook of an esteemed colleague and a veteran in the investments industry, Mr. Ricky So. Ricky has extensive experience in the arena of investments which dates back to over two decades. Today, Ricky is an advocate of investment education as he helps make many Filipinos a real investor.
The 2013 Outlook of Ricky So
The year of the snake bodes well for the financial markets as the book says people born in the year of the snake are fortunate with finances. This is the astrology part. I do not mind the source, for as long as it is positive, I tend to believe it.
For the Philippines economy and markets, 2013 will be a great year of milestones as we are likely to achieve the most coveted and once elusive investment grade status from leading global credit ratings companies. (Never mind, their questionable past during the global crisis of 2008, this time they are doing well with us.) This milestone will be a catalyst to more positive developments for the Philippines. Foreign direct investments will most likely pour in bigger investments than before perhaps rising more than 100% over the coming years. Portfolio investment will likely follow suit with a bold outlook of about $10 bln for this year along. This will pave the way for the equity markets to record new highs towards Q2 to Q3 rising another double digit gains as inflation continues to be tame with interest rates possibly lowers a few basis points more. I predict the PSEi to reach record levels beyond 6500 but not 7000, somewhere in between.
The continued challenges in US and in Eurozone economies bode well for our BPO sector generating more dollars (my estimate is it growing 15%) and employment as well. I can see the unemployment rate moving another 1% lower from the present rate of about 7%. Alongside, the perennial winner OFW remittances will provide additional inflow of 1 to 2 billion dollars from 2012’s estimate of $21 bln. The result of which is a stronger peso moving towards P38-39 per greenback towards the end of 2013.
Over-all the PHL economy will be well this year and perhaps over the coming years. It is time to invest in the Philippines and attract more foreign investments and rekindle the local investors both onshore and offshore.
Ricky So’s professional credentials:
• SEC Certified Investment Solicitor (CIS), 1997 to present
• Investments Lecturer, Insurance Institute for the Asia and the Pacific (IIAP), 2004-2005
• Lecturer, Investment Company Representative Certification Seminar, 2000 to present
• Founder and Facilitator, PAMI Investment Clubs, 2003 to present
• Alternate Member, Fund Managers Association of the Philippines, 2007 to 2011
• Director, Association of Registered Financial Planners in the Phils., 2008 to 2009
• Registered Financial Planner (RFP®), 2008 to present
• Stock Market & Technical Analysis Lecturer, Global Investor’s Center Phils. Inc., 2009 to present
• Portfolio Management Lecturer, AIM-EXCELL Strategic Inv. Mgt. Program 2009 – present
• Training Faculty, RFP Philippines – July 2011 to present
• SEC Certified Securities Representative Eligible – March 2011
• Lecturer, Managing Equity Portfolio, Chartered Wealth Manager (CWM®), July 2012 to present